Monday, January 26, 2009

I just need TOOTHPICKS

So today was frustrating. I needed toothpicks. Normally this is not an issue, but in Scotland this proved to be an adventure of epic proportions. The stores here are more specialized than in the states. To compound my frustration, many of the stores have useless names like Tesco and Lidll. What exactly is a "Tesco"? Then again I can imagine that Giant Eagle and Kroger would produce the same confusion. Anyway, I was not able to locate toothpicks at the grocery store. After that I didn't know what to try next. The chemist (drug store)? Pound Stretcher? The closeout boot store? How does one even categorize toothpicks? Arts and Crafts? Beauty supplies? Cooking? After a few more stores I was mad. I could've called a friend (the mantra of study abroad seems to be something cheeky like, "You're only as lost as the questions you don't ask"), but I wanted to do it myself. I am sick of having to always ask for help. Grr... It seems as if the most frustrating moments stem from the ones that are the most simple at home. I never appreciated the gift of knowing that the toothpicks are next to the cupcake mix, in the aisle next to the pasta, on the right side of Kroger. They come in colored and plain, $.99 a canister.

While the exasperating toothpick escapade was a bleak note to start on, overall I am doing very well. I am settling in and learning all Scotland's little lessons. For example: If you do not know how the long the walk is going to be, wear flats. The walk to church yesterday was 45 minutes each way. Heels were a poor life choice. I spend most weeknights with the students on my floor, and weekends doing touristy things with other American students. I think the thing that I miss the most is having people around who know me. I had a nightmare last week, which was unfair in the first place,  I didn't even watch a scary movie or eat anything spicy before bed. If I were at home Meg and Miranda would know to ask me about my bad dream. However, my new friends didn't know to ask. I didn't realize how comforting it is to be around people who know you.

Experiencing the inauguration here was amazing as well! I watched President Obama be sworn in on a big screen in a bar in the student center (the drinking age is 18 in Scotland). There were many Americans, but British students certainly had a presence as well. I have never been more proud to be an American. The students here seem follow US politics more than their own.


I also miss the food. The dining services here are... well... let's just say they served turnip soup this past week... TURNIP...SOUP. I think Rob was annoyed that I couldn't stop laughing at his bowl of congealed root puree. I explained that we generally don't cook with turnips, but I think he still thought I was weird. Main dishes are not much better; the cooks love to mix everything together. I think they simply take the meat that is on the menu and combine it with whatever random odds and ends they have around, like carrots, peppers , and potatoes... always potatoes. They put it all into a blender and hit "frappe"! Depending on the consistency of the end product we are having stew or a casserole type dish. The fact that the menu never specifies what dish the meat is confirms my theory. It simply reads "Beef." Now, whatever form the beef takes is part of the excitement! It builds character... or something like that. Thank goodness for chips (fries).

This past weekend I climbed Arthur's Seat. This was an incredible experience as I have never climbed a mountain. Don't let the picture below fool you; I nearly died. The hike was actually a bit dangerous with all the craggy rocks and mud. Sure there were paths, but no one really stays on them. If it were in the states there would have been concrete stairs cut into the side of the mountain with guardrails the whole way up, and benches to rest on every ten minutes... and a hotdog stand at the top. It was amazing to think that this park is, literally, a five minute walk from the door of my dorm. I can see it from my window. The remnants of the wall in the picture above is the ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel. It was built in
the early 15th century, around the time that Joan of Arc was leading her people.


I hope all is well in Marietta!
Katy

P.S. In case you were waiting with bated breath, on the edge of your seat, Edinburgh Bargain Stores sells bamboo skewers for a pound (roughly $1.40). Close enough to toothpicks I guess. I'll just have to break them in half.

14 comments:

  1. I love how your personality comes out when you write. It made me feel like you were telling me over the phone. Glad your escapades are going well!!! Thanks for the fun fact about Joan of Arc...you must tell me more sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering about which country I want to go to when I study abroad. I have been thinking about Ireland, France, Italy, you know all the places that everyone seems to want to go to. However, I look at some of the beautiful pictures and it makes me want to go to Scotland. And since they are really in tune with American politics and political sciences are my major, it wouldn't be much of a change for me maybe. Keep us up to date on the cultural differences, Katy. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to say, it's a little creepy how you know exactly where to find toothpicks in America but I can only imagine your frustration. It sounds like you are having a great time and it looks absolutely beautiful. The history there is a bit humbling I'm sure. Just looking at your picture from the street side, most of the buildings look older than anything in the states. It's good you have some American contact and don't need to struggle too much (I say that but have no idea). I find it interesting how it seems most countries always have their eyes on us and what we're up to. I guess that's flattering. Keep us posted on everything and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, first off, I'm glad you found a toothpick substitute. It's so frustrating when you can't find things at home, let alone in an unfamiliar place. The picture of St. Anthony's Chapel is gorgeous; I absolutely love it! Is the food one of the hardest things to adjust to? You mentioned that there are a lot of casseroles as meals there, and it's got to be difficult, especially for people that are more selective about the food they consume. I also like how flats are the way to go there, since your main source of transportation is walking, and I can imagine that your feet killed after that long of a walk in heels! Continue having a wonderful time, and I look forward to hearing from you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katy,
    I am delighted to have the opportunity to read your blog. What personality it has! Although you didn't mention anything like this, I was just curious if everything was computerized in Scotland. You know - walk up to a kiosk, push a few buttons, get whatever you were looking for sort of stuff.
    I'm also assuming from your struggle with the stores that there is nothing equivalent to a Wal-mart.. With how much reading I have been doing about globalization in Lead 203 and Mgt 301 (thanks for the book!), I am kind of surprised. Are there any American stores there? I know that some European stores (ex. Aldi) have come to the U.S., but have we made it to Europe?
    As for the food, I'm sorry! It sounds to me like you need a good Midwest hotdish :)
    I look forward to reading so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arthur's Seat sounds like my kind of hiking adventure!

    I'm glad you were able to watch the inauguration. Our honors class actually made an afternoon of it with pizza and everything in the commuter's lounge in Andrews. I am curious as to the Scot's response toward the new U.S. President. Could you provide more on that?

    And your posts are entertaining as they have been. I laugh every time.

    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Katie.
    We've been missing you in the triplex! I have a strange question, you are studying at the university of Edinburgh, correct? If so, I have a friend who attends that school. His name is Walker Angell and he's an Economics student. He went to my High School, Minnehaha Academy. Don't let his crazy fashion or fake accent fool you, he is definatly an American. I loved your story about your walk to church, I bet it puts our campus to perspective when we used to whine about going to Mills to print something. By the way, the Legacy Library is AMAZING. I have one more question. My brother studied in London and he would sit in local pubs to read, the barkeeps would welcome him and talk to him forever and tell him all the great stories of the famous writers who used to be there and help him if he had questions. I was wondering if thier was a difference between the two countries on the same island. Have you had the same expirience with town people or businesses in Edinburgh or were they a little more shut off to out-of-towners. Have fun and be safe Katie.
    -Jake-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Tesco, I remember them & Sainsbury's from London. Trying to cook a recipe you learn at home can be a challenge. Warning, don't eat the peas; they're atrocious.
    You can have a more intelligent conversation about American politics in the UK than you can in most Ohio hometowns. What do they think of Hillary as the new Head of State Department? They didn't seem to care much for her when I was across the pond.
    You'll get used to the food...probably. lol.
    Do you enjoy the way that they don't spoil the natural beauty of their historical sites/landmarks? I've never been to Arthur's Seat, but I fell on my rump at Hadrian's Wall.
    I'd recommend going up to their version of the Greek Pantheon. It's a good view!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toothpicks eh? I'm glad you found a substitute! It sounds as though you have had some exciting adventures: the search for toothpicks, the climb of Arthur's seat, not to mention your taste bud adventures. The pictures of the mountain were beautiful by the way! I'm really glad you were able to watch the inauguration- I was a very monumental day for the United States and the world.
    Thanks for keeping us updated! Enjoy yourself!
    Leslie J.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I admire you for your determination to find the toothpicks on your own! I know if I found myself in that situation I would have just broken down and tried to ask for some and just think about how easy everything is back home! I envy the veiws that you get to see and becuase of the pictures that you have posted, I hope to one day visit Scotland myself!!! The scenery looks absolutely beautiful! Hope everything is going well and I love reading your blogs! They always make me smile how you are always joking and laughing at many of the experiences that you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey all! Here is my reply to all your wonderful comments!

    Justin, My IFSA Butler program has a optional internship with the Scottish parliament! Its worth looking in to.

    Kyle, Of course I know where the toothpicks are! And the history is humbling! There is a pub in town that was established before Europe even knew North America existed!

    Juile, yes my feet did hurt! They are still getting blisters. I know its gross, but I have 6 rather large ones on the bottom of my feet. And not the little cute ones, the HUUGE ones! I have to switch shoes a lot : )

    Celia, thanks for your wonderful comments! Yes, there are a lot of computerized things. I an buy tickets online for shows and trains. There isn’t wireless in the dorms, which is sad, but it hasn’t really bothered me much, its only annoying when I find something hilarious on youtube and want to run down the hall to show my friends. But I’ll live! You’re welcome for the book! There aren’t really many American stores, some restaurants (KFC, Quiznos) but the culture of Edi is not one for huuuge chains.

    Lauren, people here are really hopeful that Obama is going to make some good changes. But just like in the states, they seem to be waiting to see what happens. My Scottish professor is more than happy to share his opinion constantly, and he said that he likes Obama! Part me wishes I was there for the excitement! Watching it on yahoo news is a little different. : )

    Jake, I am at the University of Edi. Why don’t you facebook message us both and maybe we could say hey! Its challenging to meet new people, especially ones that know the city : ) Yes, I miss being able to “run to Mills” or “run back to my dorm,” if I forget something it’s a 25 minute walk home! And NO free printing! Boo! Its about $.10 a page in US money! To answer your other question, everyone here is so nice! I haven’t met a single person who wasn’t kind. It’s a little harder to make friends, but every is very nice. I had to call tech support in the US for a phone card this week and the American woman was unbelievably rude and short with me, and I didn’t realize it until afterwards, but people are so nice here. I think they are a but fascinated with foreigners in general, just the way we are.

    Jameson, I haven’t heard any comments on Hilary, so im not sure. And yes, the scenery is amazing!

    Stephanie, come to Edi! Its an incredible city and it has everything (museums, pubs, shopping, castles, palaces, and outdoorsy stuff, all within walking distance, but its really really easy to travel. I can literally walk to the train station!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tesco! And Lidl! They have them both in Dublin. I want to come visit you sometime, your university is in a far more beautiful area than mine...not that there's anything wrong with Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look how creative you are! Lol! Anyway, I am glad to hear that you are doing well even if you didn't find any tooth picks. How is that going anyway? ever find any? ever look again? I was glad to see your smiling face upon that great big hill/mountain/(whatever its called). You tooth pick comment made me think of something that we discussed in class today. That in this new world of globalization it is more important to be passionate and creative than it is to have the highest IQ. Look at you and your tooth picks... perhaps this is a silly example, but you are one of the most passionate and creative beings I know. Would you say that you have stretched your creativity in Scotland? or perhaps that you've realized that you did not understand something which forced you to turn on your creativity?

    I hope you remain in good spirits! Love you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather, thank you for your wonderful comments! I have never considered myself an overly creative person. I think my ridiculous stories stem from the need to laugh at oneself. If you go abroad, you can't take yourself too seriously You will make mistakes!

    ReplyDelete