Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's been my first full week!

This has quite possibly been the most insane week of my entire life! I am blogging today as it is my one week anniversary since I left, and also because today is the first day I'm starting to feel at home here.

The entire trip is a big step for me as a person as I have never traveled abroad in life. So adjusting to new money, new outlets, new accents (that's the fun part!), a new school, and a new lifestyle can be overwhelming. I am breaking it down into daily goals, today's goal is laundry. Since I am new at this whole traveling thing it's definitely unnerving to be the "international student." I feel like everyone is always laughing at me. Not in a "Wow, you're so stupid" way, but in the way one would laugh watching a caveman trying to get through a revolving door for the first time. I find myself pushing things that are not buttons, looking the wrong way before crossing the street, and stopping and staring openmouthed at the castles and mountains that surround the city, monuments that the locals use more as points of reference than anything.

The people here are very intune with American culture. The Simpson's are on TV every day and the pub where I ate dinner in was playing John Mayer and The Postal Service. As I was trying to sleep in my hotel last week, the bar across the street was blasting Pink's latest hit. And the student president of the University of Edinburgh's equivalent of CUB (he's a big deal) openly bashed our president to a group of 200+ Americans our first day on campus, more than one in his "welcome to student life" lecture. I knew the rest of world hated him, but I was surprised. 

Another thing that has struck me is the age of everything. We get overly excited to find a building that is 100 years old. Edinburgh castle was built in 1511, about 100 years before John Smith sailed to the new world to ruin Pocahontas's life. It boggles my mind. One of the girl's on my floor lives in a home that is older than my entire country. 

Speaking of dorms, mine is great! My window looks out over Arthur's seat, an extinct volcano. It's huge and beautiful. 

Oh but the wind is incredible! You know those wind tunnels they have at science museums that simulate tornadoes? Well that was what it was like trying to walk on Sunday. I have a 30 minute walk to campus every day and Mindy and I were literally going, "Left foot... right foot... left.... right" to get down the street! It is ironic that the Scottish invented the umbrella as they are impossible to use (think Mary Poppins in a hurricane... not good).

I hope you all are enjoying your first week of classes!
Katy 

8 comments:

  1. Katy, darling!

    I am beyond jealous that you are frolicking about Scotland! I do hope you are enjoying yourself. I miss seeing your big smile bouncing about campus. Though, I know that this opportunity will help you grow as a student, an individual, and a leader.

    I know that there is probably much that is unfamiliar, but what things have you experienced so far that are familiar? Are there many companies there that you would also find here? Technology? Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    Thank you for the nice comments! The encouragement is so helpful! Many things are still familiar, there has been nothing that has completely baffled my mind or that I could not figure out on my own! There are not many chains here. So the only stores/ restaurants I recognize are Subway and Quiznos. There are US equivalents to many of the stores. Rather than a Dollar Store, they have a Pund Stretcher. A pound is their dollar. However, the use many of the same mobile phone providers such as Virgin Mobile.

    The technology is much the same, however they are a little behind us. I see more cd players for sale than mp3 players. And some of their online components are a little confusing. I use a lock and key to get into my building and my dorm does not have wireless. But it is not horrible, from what ive seen its about 3-4 years behind Marietta.

    So overall, things are very similar here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,

    I do very much enjoy Subway and Quiznos. So, I am glad that the rest of the world gets to experience them. I am glad that you are feeling comfortable. It must be a strain to be away from your family and friends for so long.

    CD player, huh. Interesting. Would you say that the knowledge of the students, in reference to technology, is behind students here at MC? It seems only logical from what you've said. Regardless, I am sure that they are up to date in my technological world. I am inferior to most of our cohort in this arena.

    Happy Exploring!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy!

    You use so much imagery in your posts and they are a lot of fun to read. I can imagine that Scotland is beautiful, and don't worry, I would probably look just as silly getting used to things because I would be overly excited as well.

    It is really neat to hear about all of the ancient buildings you see around you. I am very interested in architecture and I would probably be exploring them all of the time. I was wondering if you felt that the Scottish have more of a connection to and respect for their history than we do in America, where we seem to constantly renovate and rebuild.

    I look forward to your next post. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Lauren Yanko :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy,
    I hope all is going well across the big pond! It sounds like you are enjoying your experience in Scotland! It is amazing to me that technology is that far behind being that it is so ingrained into almost everything we do on a day-to-day basis. Advances in technology seem to occur everyday making 3-4 years seem like a century!

    You have talked about the technology differences, I am curious if there are any differences in the concern for environmental health? I am curious because I am getting ready to write my first paper in LEAD 203. I'm thinking about relating globalization and the spread of environmentalism. "Going green" has exploded in American culture; there are t-shirts, commercials, recycling bins everywhere, and clubs which demonstrate the concern for environmental health. Are there any obvious displays of concern in Scotland?
    Thank you for donating your time to share your experiences with us here in the U.S.! I’m looking forward to hearing from you!
    Leslie Jaynes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! It's great to hear from you, and that you are having a wonderful time!

    From your post, it seems as though history seems to be much more important to Scottish culture, and I was wondering if that changed the dynamic of conversations at all. Also, with the mention of cd players and so much American music, I was curious if American music was more or less prevalent than Scottish or European music.

    You also wrote that you had to walk to classes 30 minutes everyday; how is transportation different there? Less emission from cars, and more willingness to walk or bike places?

    I hope to hear again from you soon!
    Julie DeBonis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy,
    I can only imagine the beauty in Scotland. I am sure that the image you described outside your window is absolutely breathtaking! I am surprised to hear that their techonoly is a littel behind that of Marietta's! I was picturing beig skyscrapers and buildings but it sounds like there is a lot of historical buildings and castles!
    I was wondering though that since their technology is a little behind if the economy was a little behind as well. I was wondering if a lot of people got thier goods from different, local places from "mom and pop" type places or if WalMarts were at every corner.
    I hope everything is going well and you make the most ofyour time overseas!!! :D

    Stephanie Hammond

    ReplyDelete
  8. To respond to your comments:

    Heather, I don’t get the impression that the students are behind us as far as knowing technology. They play guitar hero and have fancy mobile phones. I guess I just noticed that the stores still sell cd players.

    Lauren, Thank you for the compliments! I enjoy blogging about my experiences. It certainly helps me reflect. As far as the Scottish feeling very connected to their history, I can honestly say I have only had conversations about Scottish history with a few Scottish people (most of the students I meet are from England). But the Scottish people that I do talk with are INTENSELY proud of their country. All they talk about is how smart the Scots are and how we invented the postage stamp, the decimal point, golf, whisky… the list goes on… and on, and on. And the constant battle with England for independence has given them a deep love for their country.

    Leslie, Yes, the “going green” movement has hit here. However, businesses do not seem to have taken to the movement as much as US businesses do. However, the student association pushes to buy fair trade food and they’re trying to reduce carbon emissions.

    Julie, See my reply to Lauren about the Scots deep love for their country! American music is very prevalent here, probably more so than European music, but don’t quote me. While hanging out with friends we were listening to Jack Johnson. Transportation is very different. There are public buses (about $1.50 to ride) and taxi’s. Bikes, often called cycles, are very popular. The cars are also smaller, there are no trucks, SUV’s, or even “Grocery Getter” vans. It’s fun to walk in the city though. With Arthur’s Seat in the distance and many old churches, I honestly have never bemoaned the walk. People here are certainly more fit because of it!

    Stephanie, Yes, the city is an eclectic blend of shops, castles, and terraces (apartment style flats that take up entire city blocks). There are not really many “modern” style buildings except for the new Scottish Parliament building http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/holyrood/gallery/index.htm
    There are not as many “mom and pop” places, but certainly no Wal-Marts. There are small stores that are more specialized (see the blog I just posted for more info!).

    ReplyDelete