Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Let's Hear it for the Girl!


First off, I am doing incredibly well! I fall more in love with this city every day. I love that it has the perks of a big city (good bus system, museums, castles, restaurants etc.), yet there are lots of outdoorsy things to do as well (Arthur’s Seat, The Meadows, and the coast). I am starting to feel comfortable here, and I haven’t gotten lost all week!

Last weekend I went to stay with a Scottish family for a homestay as part of my program. We drove about an hour north, and it was nice to get out into the country. It was amazing! We explored the ruins of Tolquhon castle and visited the coast (both pictured). It was a wonderful weekend, and I just made me fall more in love with this place!


The next question I’m sure you are thinking is, “So what are Scottish people like?” I am still not sure how to answer. I think that, much like the U.S., it is impossible to make sweeping generalizations. What are Americans like? We certainly have stereotypes, but we do not all fall into them. There are differences in individuals, but just like in the U.S. you will find all kinds of people. People who do their homework and those who don’t, people who drink too much and people who don’t, people who play bagpipes and those who don’t, well, maybe you won’t find many people in the states that play bagpipes, but the point still stands! Each culture has its tendencies, but I think all inclusive generalizations are limiting.



Before I get to my latest ridiculous story, I wanted to shares some of my observations about Scotland. I actually wrote this in paragraph form, and then I got nervous about the assumptions and assertions I was making. So I am merely listing observations I have made, in no particular order. You may reach your own conclusions

10 Observations from the Week
1. Students pay less than $2,000 a year to attend the University of Edinburgh. Scottish students pay nothing.
2. They love youtube just as much as we do!
3. Skipping multiple classes is a weekly occurrence for many students. If the lecturer is bad, no point in going, the notes are online.
4. They don’t use peanut butter in desserts. I made candy buckeyes, which were a hit!
5. People here are much more laid back. They don’t jam pack their schedules. Students aren’t stressed about job loss or unemployment.
6. Students don’t stop showing up until about 10-15 minutes into class.
7. There was a flyer on my door with a picture of Jesus advertising for “midnight mass” at Faith. Though I am not catholic, I picked it up out of curiosity, maybe it was a new church I could try... It was an advert for a nightclub. Many of the old churches are being turned into nightclubs. Then I noticed that, in the flyer, Jesus was wearing headphones.


8. Hairpins are very expensive (about $1.50 for 25). Sweatshirts are very cheap (about $15).
9. Magazines and TV shows much more skin than ours.
10. If a citizen needed open-heart surgery tomorrow, it would be completely free. However, it’s hard to find a doctor that really takes the time to treat patients with quality.

With that said, some things never change, no matter where you go. Grant House set off the fire alarm for the fourth time since I’ve been here at 2am this week while I was dead asleep. While I was fussy and cold, I was glad to know that some things are cross-cultural. Now for my latest challenge!

“You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, "I'm proud of what I am and who I am, and I'm just going to be myself."
- Mariah Carey.

Sounds cheeky to me, no offense Mariah. But what does that really mean? How does one even “look inside” oneself? I think she was trying to capture a feeling I experienced last weekend. First, let me note that I have never been on a train, nor have I ever been in a train station. However, I am traveling to Liverpool, England in 3 weeks… by train… you see my dilemma. As much as I hate to admit it I didn’t want to touch that with a 39 ½ foot pole. After my toothpick fiasco I must admit I was a bit jaded with “doing things on my own”, but I had to get a ticket.

Then, one morning last week I woke up feeling a bit cocky. Later that day I marched my little American self into Waverly Station to purchase a ticket and defeat my fear of the unknown. Mind you I have no idea how, let alone where, to buy a ticket. But never mind that, I was on a mission! Now the trick to acting like you know what the heck is going on is to strut your stuff with confidence! Waverly station is a large square, and after “strutting my stuff” around the square about three or four times (I think the locals on the benches were catching on to my charade), I finally spotted the ticket window. I took a number (yeah, I figured that one out all by myself too!) and pranced to my seat, completely convinced that I could do anything.

(Don't worry I didn't take this picture, it would have ruined my entire act. Thank you google images!)

My defense mechanism of parading about like the Queen of Scots herself no longer needed (it’s hard to flounce sitting down), I realized that I suddenly had to use the loo. Apparently my circling Waverly station had acted as some sort of internal rain dance. Hmm… no good. I was number 68 and the boisterous Scottish man behind the counter had only just called 53. Was risking my well-earned place in line worth the promise of a toilet? Realizing that I could always take another number should mine be passed, I gave up the safety of my seat to enter the ruthless herd of the train station once again. I sauntered around the square three more times and finally located my holy grail… Only to discover, much to my annoyance, that one can charge for even the most basic needs in life. I fought between my desire to combat injustice and my pressing need to use the bathroom, NOW…. I chose to fight the man some other time.

After my slight interruption, I flew back to the ticket window, only making one lap around the station this time! I leapt into a seat, as the man from behind the counter called number 54, apparently I hadn’t missed much. I sat there for a few moments relishing the moment, as I closed in for the kill on my afternoon of great success. As I waited for my number to be called, the overhead speakers played an old favorite… “Let’s hear it for the boy. Let’s give the boy a hand.” I smiled to myself, then frowned… Forget the boy; let’s hear it for the girl! And in that moment I realized that you really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, I'm proud of what I am and who I am.

Have a wonderful week!
Katy

15 comments:

  1. Hahaha Katy that was hilarious! I love the way you tell your stories! I could picture myself as one of the people sitting down and watching you as you made your laps around the building! I think it is awesome that you are doing things on your own and finding your way around the city! There seems to be a huge sense of accomplishment every time you figure out the puzzle on your own!! It seems that I would get lost even in WalMart and you are navigating around such a huge new city! I hope everything continues to go well and I hope that you enjoy the time that you have there!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say how much I miss you Katy Black. I was sitting her laughing as I read your blog and just picturing you telling me these stories. You sound like you're having a blast and I love hearing about all of it. One thing I thought was really funny was your comment that they don't worry about job loss because our lead class is reading "The World is Flat" and worrying that our jobs will be gone before we graduate. lol. I can't wait to read more and hear all your fun stories when you get back in the fall. Have fun and be safe (no falling down beautiful mountains (: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,
    First off, I just want to commend your storytelling skills: they are fantastic! I can really picture you roaming around the train station, and let me tell you, I would be doing the same exact thing :). I was wondering, did you go to the Midnight Mass party at the church? It blows my mind that old churches are being made into night clubs; I've never heard anything like it, but I love the idea that they are reusing their resources rather than tearing down history. I also found it interesting how laid back everything is: skipping class not even being a big deal especially, since at Marietta, your grade can drop if you skip too many classes. I was kind of amused that they don't use peanut butter in desserts; it's delicious, so how can you go wrong?
    I hope you continue to have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear your next story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, oh jeez, Scotland sounds in a lot of ways like Ireland. Everyone is SO laidback here. It's crazy for me not to be doing a million things at once, but school is so much easier and it's just expected that you take time to enjoy life. I wish life were a bit more like that in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oddly enough, had my first experience with Metro Transit this past weekend in St. Louis. Obviously not as intimidating as Waverly Station, but still an interesting little adventure from the Airport to the Hotel.

    You mentioned Scotland TV showing more skin than is typical in the U.S. Is the news also more graphic and true-to-life than American news is? I know that the BBC is more open to showing things from the war that the U.S. media would never show, and wondered if that's the same way in Scotland or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy,
    Your discussion about the generalizations that people can make about a society really impacted me because of the discussion my Leadership 203 class just had a few days ago. We were all discussing a model created by Richard Lewis where he places different countries in three categories (a triangular diagram) based on their values/characteristics, which can define the culture. Although I thought the model was moderately accurate and very interesting to study, when Dr. McManus asked the 20 some different students where we would place ourselves on the model, we were distributed throughout the triangle with many different personalities and characteristics, which shows that generalizations are, as you said, very limiting.

    Thank you for posting such interesting and insightful blogs, it is really helping me apply what we are learning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a deep entry. Very nice. I thought it was interesting at the lack of censorship you talked about. You would never see fliers for night clubs with Jesus on them advertising Midnight Masses. That would be considered sacrilegious here, yet there, it is not big deal and apparently happens all the time. I also have encountered Europe's lack of censorship when it comes to television. Much like the drinking age, I think that the reason they don't have problems with it is because they don't make it a big deal. Will it happen in America anytime soon? I doubt it. That would be quite a mountain to climb. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you're amazing at explaining your thoughts. I think you're blogs are insightful into how Scotish people are so different yet similiar to people in the US. In our global class the other day we were talking about High and low context personalities and how different cultures have different contexts. What context would you say most Scotish people are, I saw you wrote they were really layed back so are they high?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, katy, katy... I an actually hear your voice when I read this. How fantastic!
    I think it's so interesting how we're reading a book about how the "world is flat" and yet there are so many ways the world has been flat without technology. The fact that the Scottish pull the fire alarm and you can be listening to a song that you recognize a world away from where you are from is like "innate globalization." I cannot wait to hear about more of these experiences. It is definitely making me want to go to Scotland. I was just curious if you have had to work with any Scottish in any groups and noticed anything about their work ethic. I realize you said some students go to class while others don't, which is like at home, but for classes are they strict on deadlines or not so much.
    This just made my night.. like your e-mail earlier today.. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I love that you don't want to generalize the people and completely agree. I was just wondering how you were accepted by the Scottish family. We recently talked about how some cultures, like American, take people into their trust easily while for others it takes a long time to earn that trust. Which did you find to be the case with the family you visited?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy,
    This was so nicely written! I really enjoyed reading it :) I agree with how you were careful not to stereotype the Scottish in this entry. I found it interesting that you said that people were generally more "laid back" and don't jam as much into their schedules. It kind of puts things in perspective. I'm also curious: have you encountered any stereotypes people might have of Americans?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy scotland sounds really interesting. From what I've heard it sounds like Scotland is predominantly Catholic. Am I wrong? If so I would have thought that people would have been really offended by the flyer for that night club. Were many people offended?

    Justin Robb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephanie,
    Thanks for you kind comments Yes, even figuring out the simple things here are cause for celebration! There’s such a great sense of accomplishment when you figure it yourself! As for living in a big city, don’t worry about it! You’d be great! That’s why they have maps, and guys with accents that can give directions!

    Sarah Dezso,
    Thanks! It’s so nice to know that I am missed : ) Im sure you’re missing your girls in Florida a lot as well!

    Julie,
    I appreciate your comment about my storytelling skills. I’ve never been much of a writer, but I’m really enjoying blogging. Besides I think I get the better end of the deal! No, I did not venture to the Midnight Mass party. I’m a religious person, and the thought of clubbing in a church seems disrespectful to me. But yes, I am glad they didn’t tear down the old church! I am tying to convert my friends into peanut butter lovers, but they’re too hooked on Nutella! A chocolate, hazelnut spread used for the same purposes we use peanutbutter.

    Meli,
    I’m loving your Ireland blog! It is so nice to have all the free time! I think I’m going to try to cut back next year… maybe… : )

    Patrick,
    I don’t have a TV in my room, and didn’t want to pay for a license so I haven’t watched much at all. I wish I could give you a better answer about the news being more graphic, but I can’t. Sorry!

    Anastasia,
    Could you remind me more about Lewis’s model. I know that British people are low context in that they are not constantly busy, but they’re not as relationship driven as Hispanic cultures. People generally keep more to themselves, but that may be because no one shares a room. All dorms are singles and all flats have single rooms. It’s much more difficult than I anticipated to determine the difference between what is motivated by their culture and what is motivated by their own personality. Am I, Katy Black, loud and outgoing because I’m an American or simply because I’m Katy. I think im going to add that in my next blog!

    Kyle,
    As with them not having drinking problems because of the lower drinking age, I do think they have drinking problems too. It’s hard to compare because I don’t participate in that culture in the states. They don’t seem to have the high levels of alcohol poisoning that we do because I think they know their limits better than Americans. But I would say that they consume more alcohol. It is certainly not a big deal here the way it is in the states. It doesn’t have the taboo our society places on it. I’m not sure how I feel about a lower drinking age.

    Brittany,
    Thanks for your kind words : ) You might want to refer to the response I gave to Anastasia above this one about Lewis!

    Celia,
    Thanks for the compliment! Yes, I love globalization! I feel so connected to everything back home. I skype constantly and facebook has been awesome! I also stream radio stations from back home. And I am currently downloading a video Laura sent me from Ecuador, though its been going for nearly 12 hours! I haven’t noticed much with the work ethic. I’m doing a group psyc project with 7 other people and everyone has been great about getting their share done and showing up to meetings! Deadlines are strict in that you lose points, but it is not uncommon to turn something in late. The rule is that if you turn it in more than a week or two late you still get a zero on the assignment, but you have to turn it in to pass the class. First and second year students only have to pass their classes, so at least get a 40%.

    Amelia,
    The Scottish family was wonderful. But they have been hosting Study Abroad students for nearly 20 years. So they are pretty used to the idea. As for earning their trust, I am not entirely sure. But they were very open with us. They were more to happy to discuss their distaste for their daughter in-law and they scoffed when I asked if they thought Scotland should try to gain independence by splitting from England.

    Yolien,
    Thank you for your kind words! British certainly tease me about being American. They have incredibly strict gun laws. So the American stereotype of a gun-toting, county music loving, American flag flying American is humorous. The biggest source of teasing is my pronunciation of certain words. Since my country is younger and I am outnumber to the British in my group, my way of saying it is clearly wrong! Every time Rebecca sees me she yells, “Oh my gawddd” in a Valley Girl accent, because apparently that is what I sound like! They pronounce aluminum, vitamin, and other words I can never remember differently.

    Justin,
    I am not sure if Scotland is predominantly catholic. Most people I have met are simply not religious at all. No one was offended by the flyer, and I don’t think anyone but me really noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katie,
    I can agree with Celia that i hear your voice in your blog as well. It's really fun to read!
    I loved your story about getting the ticket to the train. I can remember trying to figure that whole system switzerland, thank God my brother knew German.
    I'm sorry this is late, I checked in on your new blog and looked for a response to my previous post, but I guess I didn't (even though I swear I did).
    I was wondering, how is Globalization is affecting the classroom? I am writing a paper on the subject. Do teachers fully utilize the internet, power points, videos or any sort of electronic response system? Or is education more lecture style?
    Also, how is technology fitting in with the old town. Are there any oddities like... a internet cafe in a four hundred year old building or a telecommunications firm running out of an old castle?
    Hope you keep having a great adventure!
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Katy!

    It is so good to hear that you are learning so much, and having a wonderful time! As you are soul-searching, do you find that any of your personal habits are changing as a result of being immersed in Scottish culture? As Americans in a fast-paced society, we are often so linear-active. I know you are always on the go! Do you think you will find it easier to relax once you return to the states?

    Cheers,

    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete