Friday, March 27, 2009

Trip to the hospital and a Cuban Barber

Hey all!
I have responded to the wonderful comments that you left me! Thank you. I am sure this will be a shorter entry because tomorrow morning I leave for an exciting 3 weeks of spring break in Europe!

Last weekend was my 21st birthday and we had a lovely time! I made tacos and had a small party with my friends. Then on my actual birthday we ordered take away (take-out) Chinese food and watched one of my favorite films, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The next morning I became violently ill. I am not sure if it was the dodgy Chinese or what, but I didn’t eat properly for nearly three days. The American in me refused to go to the doctor. This whole “free national health care” thing sounded a bit too good to be true. Finally I caved. Wednesday night I was getting worse and asked James to take me to the hospital. Knowing that I would have to fill out loads of forms I took a billion forms of ID (passport, student id, drivers license etc.), my insurance card, and my credit card (just in case!). When I got there the woman at the desk asked me for my name, date of birth, address, phone number, and an emergency contact (thanks James!). That’s it. I never filled out a single form, never showed any sort of id. She sent me round the corner to wait. Here it goes I thought! This is going to take foooorever! I glanced round while I waited, sizing the place up the way one looks over mom’s new boyfriend, still loyal what you hold dear, but curious nonetheless. A few minor, minor things were in disrepair (the paper towel dispenser had to be taped shut and the molding on the floor had duct tape on it in one spot). Other than that, it was fine. Nothing too flashy, the walls might have needed some paint, but it was a perfectly functional hospital! There was even a machine that went “ping”!

I waited about 30 seconds before a nurse got to me. The woman sent me to see someone else. The second woman told me I had a “tummy bug” (I think she was a pediatrician) and gave me four boxes of various medicines to try. I checked out and that was it. We called a cab and I went home. No forms, no co-pays… nothing. The hospital doesn’t even have a cash register. It was possibly one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

I am not sure how I feel about having a National Health Service. Our schools and law enforcement are nationalized. When we call the police because we’ve been robbed, they don’t take our insurance information before sending someone over. Having a national health care system seems great in some ways. The citizens do pay for it in taxes, but everyone is guaranteed treatment, no matter who they are. I think too there is a propensity to abuse the system in a sense. I became ill again this morning and was tempted to catch a cab right back to the hospital, a little drunk on the excitement of free health care. So I could see how people would go for every little thing. What do you all think about it?

One last note. I went to get my hair cut at this really ritzy place in town (we had buy-one-get-one free vouchers!). I ended up with this guy who didn’t speak much English and Rachel got a fellow British woman. Of course when we sit down, I start chatting to him. Turns out he’s a contemporary dancer from Cuba. He worked at a hotel when a Scottish woman visited on holiday; they fell in love and married. He moved to Edinburgh to be with her. He likes it here, but definitely had some complaints! We chatted easily about the things we missed about home and had a few good laughs, both relishing in having someone to loud with again! Later Rachel told me that she and her barber were amused by how American I was being. I asked what I’d done. She said that people don’t talk to strangers. They may make small talk, but no one would share all the details that we were discussing. That seems to be so much more commonplace in the states. I think I rather like being open. You learn so much more about life. Think of all the great information I would have missed out on if we had made small talk, rather than having a real discussion!


Observations from the past few weeks
- The grade in my Social Work class is 40% an essay and 60% a final exam. Over 20% of the class simply didn’t hand in the essay. But remember, they only have to pass their first and second year classes, grades do not count. So if they do well on the exams it will be fine.
- I had an interview over Skype with a summer camp in Michigan! How’s that for technology flattening the world! I knew you would be proud Dr. Perruci.
- Two of my classes literally told us what the essay questions are on the final. For both classes, I could have skipped every single lecture and still passed with a little research on my own before the exam. No wonder people skip class so much!

Hope you all have a wonderful week!
Katy

11 comments:

  1. Hey Katy!

    Glad to hear you're doing well

    Like you, I'm not sure what to think of nationalized health care. I agree that it gives too many opportunities for people to abuse the system, but then at the same time it seemed like your visit went very smoothly, so maybe it isn't such a bad idea.

    Also, I love that you were being "American" when talking to your barber. It sounds like your friend was teasing you a little bit about it. If she was, that's very "British" of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy!

    Scotland sounds amazing! I really enjoyed this post-- specifically the bit on nationalized health care. Talk of this has become more and more prevalent in the United States, and it's interesting to hear a first hand account. I've heard quite a bit about patients from around the world traveling to the U.S. for major surgeries/treatments, despite being able to receive care for free in their home country. Do you think many of the criticisms people make of nationalized health care, such as inferior doctors/supplies/technology, are well founded? How do the Scottish view their health care system? It seems that you had a pretty reassuring trip, which I'm glad to hear!

    Your conversation with the barber seemed so nice. It must be great to be "American" with someone while being so far away.

    Hope you're having a great time!
    -Cheska

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katy,

    Interesting times you seem to be having. The health care services were almost the same when I went to England. But they didn't have what I needed so I had to find a drug store to buy the medicine :-/ I actually studied the system a wee bit. If you have a minor virus, it's nice to have the free health care, but when you have a life-threatening disease, like cancer, it sucks to be put on a waiting list for surgery. I remember the most horrible waitlists to be put on are dental.
    However, there are several private hospitals throughout the UK that are similar to US hospitals.

    I'm not one to really go in depth with people I don't know, so my experience with non-students in the UK is limited to maybe 2 or 3 hours, tops, of small talk. However, students seemed to talk more than non-students.

    A 70 in most of the UK is an A!! I miss that.

    It still baffles me that you hear of Skype being used more overseas than you hear of it in the US. It seems to be more a necessity across the pond when you're away from your family & friends. Here, it is mainly a luxury or a trivial accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Katy!
    It's exciting to hear what's going on with you! Your comment about people being surprised that you talk with strangers made me think of something we discussed in class; we learned that the United States is a high trust culture, so we are quick to trust others. Many other countries, however, have low trust cultures, and they won't trust a person unless they've spent some time getting to know him or her. Do you think Scotland is a low trust culture, or was the episode you experienced a result of something else?

    I'm glad you're doing well! We all miss you lots at EXCEL, but it was fun to try and skype!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katy!
    Happy Belated Birthday! So, national health care... Although I agree that it would be very nice to be able to walk into the hospital, not fill out paperwork and have barely any wait at all, I can't help but also see the abuse that it would receive. As someone who does not normally seek doctoral assistance, I personally would love to be able to just walk in and be helped, since the hassle is part of the reason I never seek help. But I feel as though many people tend to freak out over the smallest abnormalities and those people would be there all the time, exploiting the system and causing the people that actually need help more distress.

    I love that you and the Cuban hairdresser shared life stories! I was just wondering, you said the Britain woman and your friend thought you were being very American, but do you ever see any other cultures being stereotyped so much by their mannerisms?

    I hope you're having a lovely time with Spring Break all around Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Katy,
    First, I hope you are enjoying your break. I cannot believe how soon you will be back. Time really flies.
    My comment goes along with everyone else's but specifically Alison's. I also thought of class when I read about you and the Cuban talking about everything. Dr. Perruci had us do a simulation with a German, Swede, and Frenchman and watch how they would work together. I kind of laughed when I read your story because I pictured you and the talkative multi-active Cuban chatting in one chair with your quiet friend in another looking over at you in shock for sharing so much. How fun!
    As far as National Health Care, I don't really know what to think of it yet. There are positives and negatives. For instance, there are those who grew up in areas, such as farms, that gave them exposure to a lot of different germs and whatnot as children so they do not get sick as easily. It will be these people who pay the taxes to cover someone else's hospital bill who did not have the same exposure. Of course, this is just me coming from a rural area defending myself. I do not think it's a bad idea. So many people are in need of the health care and it would be great to walk into a hospital and have to provide them with only a small bit of information.
    Have a fantastic day, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy!
    I hate to be redundant and answer just like everyone else is but with regards to national healthcare I just don't know what to think! The idea of there being no lines, no forms, and no money sounds so refreshing, yet there are so many chances for abuse and like you said, everyone pays for it through taxes. It would be nice to not have to worry about the money, but if I am never sick, the American in me wants my cut of the money back!!! I think it was very rave of you to go to the doctor in a foreign country! I would have tapped a bottle of nyquil and tried to sleep it off! It seems that you are being exposed to many different aspects of a different culture than here in the states! I hope that everything is going well and enjoy your spring break!!!!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy,

    I think one reason so many Americans are reluctant to trust the idea of national health care is because we are moving towards becoming a low trust culture. So many people distrust the government and do not believe they will take care of it and keep the health care up, and we do not believe people will be responsible with the free health care that we are not willing to take that step. Your experience could really help many Americans change their mind because, as you said, the facilities were not too shabby! Although, according to Lewis, Britain is a lower trust society than the U.S., I feel in many aspects we have less trustful, especially when it comes to our government!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy my beautiful girl.
    I have just figured out that you could actually comment on these blogs without too much effort. I apologize that my intuitive thinking did not kick in sooner! I am thoroughly enjoying your blogs and I hope you are enjoying your long break!
    I'm actually jealous of the expectations as far as exams in correlation to actually attending classes. Think of how much easier life would be. But then again, I think if I skipped class, my social life would also suffer.
    Anyway, because its my first blog comment and I am still completely overwhelmed that its allowing me to do this (insane, i know!) I am running out of things to say. I miss you! I hope your experience is everything your expected and more! By the looks of things, you are having a fabulous time!!
    Love ya!
    Kylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy!
    Your lovely presence has been missed in the DW complex!!!
    I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and it's really neat to see how much what we talk about in leadership class really does fit into the world scene. I agree with your thought about healthcare. I really think it's a good thing, but like you said, there are always flaws. Like Anastasia mentioned, we discussed the US becoming a more low-trust culture due to the corruption in the government and other things. However, it seems like you exhibited more of a high-trust side when you chatted with the Cuban barber! In my conversations with my Chinese DEL partner, I've noticed the difference between many Americans' high-trust tendencies as compared to her low-trust personality coming from such a reactive culture. I think it's great that you are still able to have moments like that while being in a culture with different tendencies.
    I'm envious of your 3-week break, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there!
    Just found your blog as I was searching for something to do with student finance... it's pretty brilliant! Personally, I'm Welsh, but I've lived in England also, and I think - within the UK at least - the level of trust varies depending on how insular the community you're within seems to be. A lot of the South West - North Devon, west Cornwall, etc, is quite high trust, as opposed to areas in Devon around Exeter [a city] where a lot of people from other areas visit, and the trust level seems lower overall.
    With regards to healthcare, I would never give up the NHS for the world. I've been looking at the American NHS debate with a lot of interest, and there's been a lot of annoyance from my peers, at least, with the way it seems to be represented... I'd rarely go to the doctor for something as minor as a cold, or food poisoning - I'd normally leave it at least 4 days before going for something like that, knowing that I don't want to strain my system, and the same with my family; again with cancer, though there are waiting lists, I don't know of anyone who was actually treated late, and if people are really worried, they can go private for that particular condition, or go private alongside the NHS, without having to choose between the two.
    Sorry for this big word blurb!
    At any rate, enjoy your stay!
    Chris.

    ReplyDelete